The castle was constructed from 1839 to 1843 to a design by the Prussian architect Friedrich August Stüler, to serve as residence for the family of Count Albert von Schlippenbach.
After the expropriation of the Schlippenbach family at the end of the Second World War, Schloss Arendsee became a shelter for the homeless. In GDR times it was then used as a school and turned into a boarding school after the German reunification. In 2006, the Bavarian entrepreneur Hans Kleissl bought Schloss Arendsee in unrestored condition and renovated it for over 10 years.
Friedrich August Stüler
The neo-gothic castle, built of bright red bricks in the hilly Uckermark landscape i shows the clear design language of the “Berliner Bauakademie” and Karl Friedrich Schinkel, realized by the architect Friedrich August Stüler.
Stüler studied in Berlin and was one of the students of Karl Friedrich Schinkel. Stüler became Hofbauinspektor (Royal Buildings Inspector), Hofbaurat (Royal privy councillor for buildings) and director of the commission for the building of the Berliner Stadtschloss in 1832. He came to be one of Berlin’s leading architects at the time and one of the founders of the Architect’s Association Berlin. His most significant creations include the Neues Museum in Berlin and dome of the triumphal arch of the main portal of the Berliner Stadtschloss.
Peter Joseph Lenné
The 205,999 square meters park was designed by the Prussian landscape architect Peter Joseph Lenné. Lenné was a Prussian landscape architect and director general of the Royal Prussian palaces and parks in Potsdam and Berlin.
For nearly half a century, he shaped the art of gardening in Prussia and designed spacious parks modeled after English landscaped gardens. He also furthered socially acceptable city planning of Berlin, by creating various green spaces throughout the city. His most important works include the redesign and expansion of the park Sanssouci in Potsdam and the Zoological Garden and the Great Tiergarten in Berlin. His landscape design is an important part of the Berlin-Potsdam cultural heritage, and has been under UNESCO protection since the entire landscape was declared a World Heritage Site in 1990.
Federal Prize for Conservation.
In November 2016, former owner Hans Kleissl, architect Herbert Knopf, as well as the craftsmen and companies involved in the 10-year restoration work on Schloss Arendsee were awarded the "Federal Prize for Handicrafts in the Preservation of Historic Monuments". This prize is endowed by the German Foundation for Monument Protection and the Central Association of the German Craft Protection of Historic Monuments, which note in their justification a "harmonious and successful result" of the restauration.